Online Pro-D Course: Engineering for Your Classroom
This free, self-guided, online pro-d course is designed for grades 4-9 BC educators (teachers, teacher candidates, and administrators) who are interested in developing their capabilities and confidence in teaching engineering activities in their classrooms. Activities in this course relate to BC’s Science and Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies (ADST) curriculum. After completing this course, teachers will have ideas inspiration, and resources to incorporate engineering & design-thinking activities into their classroom.
- 8 modules to be completed, at your own pace, in 6-12 hours. Module overview can be seen below.
- Hands-on design activities relate to several engineering disciplines: civil, mechanical, biomedical, materials, computer, and sustainability.
- Course content includes ready-to-go activities, inspiration for your own activities, resources for further learning, and a foundation in how to incorporate engineering in your classroom.
- Hands-on activities you can complete at home and try with your classrooms. All activities use only common household items. A full list of materials that we will use throughout the course can be found here.
- This course is hosted on a UBC course platform. It is free and easy to use!
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: The Engineering Design Process
Module 3: Mechanical & Civil Engineering
Module 4: Biomedical & Materials Engineering
Module 5: Computer Engineering
Module 6: Design Your Own Activity!
Module 7: Create Your Own Design Challenge!
Module 8: Assessment & Constraints
Frequently Asked Questions
The course can be completed at your own pace, however, we have designed it to take approximately 8-12 hours.
This course is a browser-based course which can be completed on any laptop or desktop computer with an internet connection. You will be asked to upload photos of your designs throughout the course, so access to a camera/webcam is useful but not required.
Yes! You will receive a certificate upon completion along with access to the many resources provided throughout the course.
Of course! Anyone can sign up for this course. The course will reference BC's curriculum throughout, however, you could modify the activities to fit your local curriculum.
Throughout the course you will be asked to complete some design challenges using simple materials you likely already have at home such as cardboard, popsicle sticks, and elastics. Alternate material suggestions will always be provided.
Enrolment will be open starting July 17th! After that, you can complete the course at your own pace.