Indigenous Internship Program
Welcome to the updated Internship Program page! In light of social distancing guidelines, we have changed our program to be accessible to youth who need to need to work remotely. Applications for this position are now closed.
Geering Up is offering this online internship program to help Indigenous Grade 11-12 students develop key professional skills as STEM instructors. Interns will be trained on how to design fun and engaging STEM curriculum while supporting the delivery of Geering Up’s online activities this summer. This program will take place from July 6th to July 24th, 2020.
Updated job description with more details: Indigenous Internship Program Description
We are offering this opportunity to:
- Foster the Interns’ capacity for leadership, interest in STEM, and their professional development.
- Promote diversity in our staff through direct employment of and collaboration with Indigenous youth.
- Improve Geering Up’s ability to communicate STEM topics with Indigenous youth.
- Offer employment and networking opportunities to youth who are working from home.
An Outreach Instructor will be assigned to the student as a mentor for the entirety of the internship program. The mentor will:
- Guide the student on how to be an effective STEM educator through online workshops and/or video content.
- Provide insight into the specific steps needed to pursue careers in STEM.
- Work with Outreach Interns to develop a set of personal and professional development goals.
Geering Up fosters a positive learning environment for both students and staff, so all positive-minded applicants will be thoroughly considered for an interview. Nonetheless, a stable internet connection with a webcam, computer, and microphone is required for working online in this program. If this is a challenge for you, please contact us.
Please email email@example.com with any questions or concerns related to the program or application.