Indigenous Internship Program
UPDATE: Applications for our July 2020 session will be open until April 10th at 11:59 pm.
(This is changed from the original deadline of March 30th)
Geering Up is offering an internship program designed to help Indigenous Grade 11-12 students develop key professional skills and build up their communities as Outreach Instructors. Training for will take place at UBC Vancouver from July 6th to July 10th. We will work with each Intern to plan outreach travel for the following weeks.
We are offering this opportunity to:
- Foster the Interns’ capacity for leadership, interest in STEM, and their professional development.
- Promote diversity in our staff through direct employment of and collaboration with Indigenous youth.
- Improve Geering Up’s ability to communicate STEM topics with Indigenous youth
An Outreach Instructor will be assigned to the student as a mentor for the entirety of the internship program. The mentor will:
- Guide the student on how to be an effective STEM educator.
- Provide insight on the specific steps needed to pursue STEM careers.
- Work with Outreach Interns to develop a set of personal and professional development goals. The student’s progress on these goals will be evaluated on a weekly basis throughout the internship.
We recognize that applicants may come from a variety of locations and backgrounds, some who may live far from the UBC campus. Our team will be as flexible as possible with respect to considering applications and scheduling logistics for each intern. Geering Up will also cover travel, food and accommodation costs for the intern to travel to UBC Vancouver for training and onboarding.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns related to the program.