IN-PERSON SUMMER CAMPS
We now offer camps during the week of August 17th – 21st!
In-Person Camps, A Scaled Approach
Our priority is to create safe spaces for kids to explore STEM. Recognizing the demand for childcare and the need for continuity of learning, we are offering a limited number of seats for in-person programs. This decision has been made after careful consideration of the Ministry of Health Guidelines and consultation with UBC leadership. We would like to emphasize that capacity will be extremely limited for in-person programs. We are setting a low capacity to ensure we align with health and safety standards.
Online Summer Camps – Still Available!
Our primary offering this summer will continue to be Online Summer Camps. If our in-person offerings are not a good fit for your family, we encourage you to check out these virtual camps for Grades 1-12.
What are Geering Up camps about?
Geering Up camps are all about making Science, Technology and Engineering hands on and exciting. Each day is a dynamic mix of hands on activities, demonstrations and design challenges.
This summer we are offering in-person camps exclusively for campers going into Grade 1-7.
Join this camp if… you are interested in general science and engineering and want to explore how the fields of STEM are connected!
Join this camp if… you are a problem-solver who is ready to build creative solutions and not afraid to get your hands dirty!
Join this camp if… you are interested in learning the diverse and exciting world of code!
Please advise: each camp will feature the same curriculum each week. As such, we do not advise taking the same camp more than once throughout the summer.
What Will Camps Look Like?
- All camps will be limited to 10 youth per camp. Each camper will be assigned a desk, 2m from their peers.
- Each group will be isolated from other camp groups for the entire week (including during recess/lunch times)
- Whenever possible, physical distancing will practiced (including during recess/lunch times)
- Our curriculum will shift from group activities to individual activities
- Sign in/out as well as daily pickup/dropoff will occur outdoors
- Unfortunately, there won’t be tours or guest speakers attending our camps this summers
- Materials and shared surfaces will be sanitized regularly, according to BC guidelines.
- Participants will be required to wash their hands frequently (between activities and at the beginning and end of the day).
- Following on the practice incorporated by the Vancouver School Board, wearing a mask will be a personal decision for participants. Our safety plan prioritizes distancing and small group sizes over PPE.
- Geering Up camps will run 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. We will incorporate a 30 minute recess break and a 60 minute lunch.
- No before-care/after-care. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer Before Care, After Care or a meal program this summer.
- Different support strategies. We may not be able to provide the same level of 1:1 support as we have in past year. Please reach out to us with any questions you may have regarding exceptionalities and whether our staff can providing care for your camper while maintain safety protocols. We would love to hear from you what strategy may work for your child. Similarly, we will not be able to provide 1:1 support for participants who are less comfortable with English instruction. Please reach out to us with any questions you may have regarding participants with English as a second language and we can discuss arrangements further.
Health and Safety During COVID-19
Please read the following information before registering for any of our in-person camps.
The health and safety of our participants, staff and everyone in our community is a priority of ours here at UBC Geering Up. The following documents outline the approach we will follow in our camp programs. We hope this outline helps you decide whether a Geering Up summer camp is a good fit for your family this year.
For more information about our response to COVID-19 and to access additional safety plans please see our COVID-19 page here https://geeringup.apsc.ubc.ca/novel-coronavirus-update/
For in-person camps, we offer the following cancellation policy:
- $25.00 fee for cancellations made 1 week prior to the start of your camp
- 50% of camp registration fee for cancellations made less then 1 week prior to the start of your camp
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have regarding our in-person cancellation
Location & Parking
Pick up and drop off will happen outdoors at Thunderbird Crescent. This is the field between the Old Barn and the Reconciliation Pole outside of the forestry building. The nearest address is 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC. Here is a link for directions on Google maps.
Parking information will be sent in a pre-camp emails prior to the start of your camp.